Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poem Flow


Happy Poetry Month!

Have you discovered Poem Flow? Last week, while browsing the pages at poets.org, I read all about this app. and downloaded it for free. I’ve enjoyed a poem daily on my iPhone but now have reached the limit with a total of 20 poems stored in my library. Today I was alerted that I could purchase 100 more poems for 99 cents. 

The app. is for the iPhone or iPod Touch but I also noticed that if you go to PoemFlow.com you can “get involved even without an apple device.”
You can find out more about it here.

I enjoy the ‘flow.’ When I click on a poem while my iPhone is turned on its side, the words appear and disappear on my screen in a ‘flow’ of words. Held upright, the phone displays the full poem.

Here are a few screen shots:





From “Haunted” by Naomi Shihab Nye:






From “Ghost Elephants” by Jean Valentine:






Although, I'm going to have a busy month finishing up my novel, working on a nonfiction project, and trying to prepare a picture book for submission, I'm going to try to get a daily dose of poetry. There are so many poetry activities going on throughout the blogging world. You can find a great list of events at Jama’s Alphabet Soup.

I am excited to participate in the 2012 KidLit Progressive Poem hosted by Irene Latham. The poem began at Irene’s blog, Live Your Poem and is at The Drift Record today where Julie Larios has added a line. The poem will be here on April 29th.

I also have a few poetry prompts up my sleeve so please visit throughout the month and participate if you can.


4 comments:

  1. Sheri, your month sounds like mine! I'm keeping poetry in mind, though, just like you. I don't have an iphone so thanks for the info on how to access this otherwise! Happy writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene.
      I'm having a great time following the progressive poem each day. What a wonderful way to celebrate poetry month!

      Delete
  2. I've been blogging poetry for the A to Z Challenge this month - lighthearted stuff for 4 - 104. Stop by if you get a chance. I missed seeing the app for poetry so will have to check it out for my phone. Looks intriguing.
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Donna. I'm off to check out your blog now. : )

      Delete